Friday, November 12, 2010

Dear John,

Thank you for the message! I am happy to provide test translations to potential clients. I understand that this is a test translation, that I will not be paid for this work, and that it does not guarantee that I will ever receive paying work from you. I know how important it is to verify that the people you work with can perform as promised.

To that end, while I'm working on the test translation, there is something that I need you to do. In order to ensure that clients can meet payment deadlines and that there will be no problems with the chosen payment method, I require a test payment from all new clients. To make sure that your account has not been flagged by the chosen payment service the test payment will need to represent a reasonable sum of money. Please send US$600 to my account before the end of the business day tomorrow. (This test payment is non-refundable.) My payment information is included at the end of this email.

I'm sure you will understand why such measures are necessary.

I look forward to working with you!

Sincerely,

Anne

3 comments:

Wanderjenn said...

Oooh, that is a good one. I have a test translation in my email box that has been sitting there a good month. I was assured that there was no hurry, but I keep finding better ways to spend my time ;).

Heather Spiva said...

Holy Moly, REALLY? I just love presumptious people. As if you have just loads of time to do things FREE for people. I know I do... um, not.

AEGtranslations said...

@Wanderjenn Maybe now you have a productive way to respond. I don't expect you to use this letter as a template for real clients, but if you do, and if they say yes - let me know! ;)

@Heather It happens more often than you might expect, but this letter seemed like a very appropriate response for a Friday. :)